Real Time Ascend Maling List Archive

Re: CF: 0.95.3 bugs

Scott D. Yelich (scott@scottyelich.com) wrote:

> > - the good old beaming bugs (into the ocean and on the east road) are still
> >   there. I guess everybody knows them anyway, so no need to explain them here
>
> I am not sure that I am familiar with this term/bug.

Ok, here is the description (note that this bug has been around since at
least the first crossfire version I played, 0.93.4).

"Beaming":
On the east road (the road from Scorn to Navar), there is the junction
with the road from brest (south). There is also the dark temple (or
whatever it's called; the dark patch before the first bend, with the
trees inside).
There is a map border inbetween these two locations. Passing that
border from the east (i.e. going from the navar side to scorn)
sometimes put's you at a location a few steps north of the road. When
you keep running westwards (towards scorn, trying to cross the map
border) you don'T get anywhere, and the server almost hangs ("beaming
effect").  IIRC you also toggle between the location on the road and
the northern place.
When this happens you have to go even further north and pass the border
there.

Similar beaming effects have occured in other places, usually
somewhere in the jungle around brest. However, the location on the
road is the most common one since a lot of people pass through
there; locations that are in the middle of nowhere are hardly
ever encountered.

"Water"
Sometimes a player ends up in the ocean around the scorn continent (I
suppose the x or y is set to 0 for some reason, but that's just a
guess). Most of the time this has happened was when exiting the undead
town; but we also had it happen in other places. I've also seen a
server where the admins changed the world map to provide a passable
way through the ocean back to the continent.

"Teleporters":
Another well-known bug I haven't mentioned yet concerns teleporters.
Connected teleporters are very crash-prone; we had lots of crashes
on the Kashu teleporter, the Hleafnarum... teleporter, and even the
teleporter leading to Kurte.

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber