Re: CF: Map integration (was Dtabb land)

Mark Wedel (mark@icp.siemens.com) wrote:

> > I guess I'll have to redesign the mini quest, though --- too many
> > people come from other servers and they never stumble across the new
> > mini quest because they don't know it's there :-(

> One problem with crossfire - it can be difficult to know about the
> quests, and > can be tiring trying to interrogate people to find
> out information.

I don't think so. I have talked to quite a few NPCs I have met around
the world. I have explored every single square on the world map to see
if there is a cavern or tower or whatever.  I think that's an
important aspect of exploring the world.

Many people are just too impatient --- they want everything, and they
want it quickly. The world of commercial games --- if you haven't
solved "Baldur's gate" in 48 hours, you are out.

>  True.  This is part of better integration in some of the maps.  For example,
> there could be records in the oldcity from the past about some mysterious
> island someplace or whatever else.

Hm... that's very good, actually. Not too many records, though :-)
Remember Gandalf in the lord of the rings --- he had to study a lot
of stuff before he actually found what he was looking for.

However, there is some sort of organizing problem --- it's rather
difficult to keep maps up-to-date across map changes. If a map doesn't
make it into the official map set you'll have to apply diffs on every
new map set --- and sometimes the patches will fail because the map to
be patched has changed. Or you are trying to add several maps into the
set (like I had to --- my new apartments, dragon island, grey island,
pupland, an apartment town) --- the patching will suddenly fail when
some of these maps are added into the official set. Not a big deal,
usually --- but it causes work. And the worst thing: I have no idea
how this could be changed :-(

Things are even worse with archetypes --- I would still like to see an
archetype/artifacts/recipies/etc. _directory_ where all the files in
that directory are read in. That would make it easier to add new stuff
and still have the new stuff that belongs to a single map set in one
file.

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber