Re: CF: Usless Items

hat@linguine.tte.vtt.fi on  wrote...
| > My main problem is that you find Keys and Locaked Doors All over the
| > place. But you can't always know what and where a key is, or what for,
| > so you end up just carrying it.  Then you bump into a dor and you use a
| > special key without realising you just used one of those keys.
|
| That was the main reason that I choose not to use keys automatically
| when they are in a key ring.  But the real problem for me is how
| the examining and using items generally work in crossfire, since
| a player can only examine and use items that she is carrying.

Then do as I do for arrows and quivers, have two key rings. One is
your normally active regular keys, key ring, the other is your special
keys, key ring, which is only active when you want it to be.

Would be nice to be able to label the rey rings and quivers though.

| If a player could examine a door then she could get details about a lock
| type and get a hint what kind of key is required to open that door.  Also
| applying a key to the door would be much more logical way opening the door
| than walking through it.  Also doors should be behave like doors, so player
| could close and lock them.

Which could be complicated. If the door should be closed again then
prehaps a  (default open) gate should be underneath. :-)
IE it is up to the map maker.

PS:  Have you ever noticed that a closing gate will not only `roll'
objects and boulders of then but other objects too!!!

I wanted to add a hidden gate so I put it under the floor!  When the
gate closed however it `rolled' the floor of it!!!  It will also roll
buttons and ANY other object including other gates which is on top.

Gates also will roll if caught at the right moment, flying arrows, and
spell effects!!!!  It is rare but I have seen it happen.

| Another thing that I would like to see changed is a 'use_skill' command.
| I think that the whole command is not really needed, instead of a skill
| use should be automaticilly done when needed.  It really doesn't make
| much sense if you have a jewellery skill and you examine an unknown gem
| you don't recognise it, but when you use_skill jewellery then you
| suddenly identify all your gems.  Similarly, other skills also help
| player to do something, using the skill shouldn't be a main thing, IMHO.

Of course what I really hate is that you have cast `summoned a holy
servent' but you can't hit your `pray X times' button to recharge your
Grace untill you have finished with the golem.

This is because while the golem will stick around while you pray, you
lose your control over the golem!!!  As your current `skill' has
changed, and you can NOT retrieve it with use_skill golem, as it does
not work!

Also It would be good if the server would `ignore leading spaces'
in commands so you can use a space after a `;' in a multi command.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
            Old kiters never die...   They just fly away!
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l anthony@lyrch.cit.gu.edu.au