Re: CF: Are these bugs?

Hwei Sheng TEOH wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Mark Wedel wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >  On the other hand, undead are supernatural in nature (much more so than things
> > like goblins, orcs, and most other creatures), so it makes some sense that
> > certain things are likely to repel them (vampires shy away from crosses).  Is
> > there an animate dead spell in cf?  If not, there probably should be, otherwise
> > where are all these undead coming from? (animate dead could also be an
> > interesting way to use corpses).
>
> I'm thinking of making a quest that gives the alchemical formula for "zombie
> potions" -- something to animate corpses with... :-) Any ideas/suggestions?

    I like the idea of an Animate Dead spell.  There isn't one yet, but
there should be.  I suppose it would work a lot like summoning a pet, except
that the casting requires and consumes a corpse.  Generic corpses and zombie
corpses would create generic zombies, but perhaps other kinds of remains
could produce appropriate different dead things.  A hill giant corpse for
example, would produce a hill giant zombie, by taking the hill giant
archetype and setting the undead flag.  If skeletons and humanoids
occasionally left bones as remains, those could be animated into skeletons.
A powerful enough priest might even animate a head into an undead skull.
    Bones to make skeletons and corpses to make zombies are good defaults,
but to do this right, I think we'd need zombie objects that define or name
the results of animating other archetypes.  Similar to alchemy, except that
it doesn't require a cauldron and it produces undead pets instead of magic
items.  Of course, we might be better off keeping it simple and limiting it
to zombies and skeletons, so we don't run into the same problems we're
having with alchemy.

--
            -Dave Noelle,                 dave@Straylight.org
            -the Villa Straylight,  http://www.straylight.org

Disclaimer:
This has been a public service announcement brought to you by the makers of
Sugar Coated Coffee Crunch cereal!  The high-calorie over-caffeinated way
to start your morning!  Now in Regular, Swiss Mocha, and French Vanilla!

Quote of the Day:
Milennium:        ...wait...           ...worry...          ...who cares...?