From: David Andrew Michael Noelle
Sent: 9/8/99 1:02 PM
Subject: CF: Successful experiments - commit to CVS?

    The following is a list of experimental changes I've successfully
implemented on my own server, which are ready to be committed to the CVS
tree if they pass consensus.  I've mentioned these before, but some of
them stirred up a good deal of discussion, and I'm not sure if any majority
decision was reached.  I'll just list all the proposed changes again all
together, for clarity.

1) attacktype: psionic
----------------
I have a strong distaste for the word "psionic" in association with the
Fantasy genre.  Psionic was a term that was adopted by role players because
the Science Fiction people wanted magic but didn't want to call it magic.  I
consider psionics in fantasy to be inappropriate backward leakage.  We have
magic, for crying out loud.  Psionics are redundant and anachronistic.  I
don't know that I object to the actual effects of the attacktype, but if you
must have it, name it something that's not quite so jarring.
----------------

2) raw mana spells
----------------
These I like.  The concept of frost or fire spells being more sophisticated
versions of a mana spell that damage only one domain with a commesurate
decrease in mana usage leads naturally to this concept.  Raw unbridled
unsophisticated magic usage.  So long as the costs of spells that can do
damage to any sort of creature are in line with that power, I like it.
----------------

3) grenade spells
----------------
Another anachronism.  In this case though, I suppose it's tolerable.  Mainly
because I can't think of another name.
----------------

4) holy word of elemental or demihuman god vs. undead
----------------
Sounds good to me.
----------------

5) animated weapons
----------------
Excellent.  I'm suprised this wasn't already available, given it's venerable
age as a concept in the genre.
----------------

6) overgeneration
Completely eliminating the limits is probably a bad idea, but I don't have
any opinion about which of the proposed solutions to adopt.

7) damage descriptions
I think I like it.  I'm not sure.

8) pouches in shops