A couple questions

As I start playing CF again I find these questions (newbieish) so bear with
me!

What exactly does a potion of invulnerability make you invuln. to?  I drank
one then went after a big wizard and still took damage.

Also I am wondering if people play Wizard classes effectively.  I have
always used a barbarian/warrior when I've played but am experimenting with a
Magic User type.  Can these types effectively kill something like a big
demon or a big wizard?  I don't see how they can.

That's all for now.
Thanks,
Sean