TCLUG Development Archive

Re: [TCLUG-DEVEL:93] Ptah

On Monday, February 21, 2000, "Eric M. Hopper" <hopper@omnifarious.mn.org> wrote:

> 	Well, add variant builds (build for both debugging and
> non-debugging, and/or with a Sparc and i386 target)

Ahh, right, that's a good point.  Offhand, I'm not sure how you would do
this as one step with automake.  Maybe by doing multiple builds with
builddir != srcdir, with different options for each...all controlled by
an uberscript...?  Not very friendly.  Ecch.  I'm starting to see what
you mean.

> and automatic
> dependency generation for header files, and things start getting really
> hairy.  Automake does do auto-dependency generation, but I think it does
> this as a seperate step from 'make', and it requires a compiler that
> supports -M.

Got me.  <shrug>  (c:  Never bothered to look into it.

> 	The reason automake give you a non-workaround solution to
> inter-directory dependencies it because it creates a Makefile.  This is
> an inherent limitation of make.

Thanks for the clarification.  It's nice to know the real reason.

John

--
dusk@ravendusk.org                                http://www.gnome.org
jsheets@codeweavers.com                      http://www.worldforge.org