anyone else noticed? what to do?

Well, it appears that you can only trash someone else's OS if its
creators are poor and working in their spare time. Anyone who's been
watching the affected websites, not to mention Slashdot, has heard that
an as-yet-unnamed company -- undoubtedly Microsoft -- is suing the
popular (especially to anti-MS folks like Linux users) sites
segfault.org and userfriendly.org, both of which regularly parody the
company's many, many faults. Both websites are doing the legally smart
thing and not even mentioning who it is that is suing them, whilst doing
their best to imply that we all know damn well who it is -- what other
company gets so roundly criticized on these sites? Anyway, I have a
feeling that MS's formidable PR machine -- funny, a machine remarkably
resembling a Borg cube -- would have a hard time defending its cowardly
actions if the general public actually knew about any of this, and it
seems newsworthy. Anybody have connections with either major newspaper
in this area?

You can find the whole scoop at these two locations:
www.segfault.org
www.userfriendly.org
www.BeDope.com
(these sites have all been closed down, BTW. Just so you can look at the
effects of it all...)
and here's Illiad's (author of UF) short report on how this developed:
perl2000.com/Webmaster/Support/uf_news.html

I was willing to give MS a break before this. This development, however,
has convinced me that MS is essentially anti-Internet, even though they
really, really want to be perceived as the opposite. Total (well, not
total, but damn close) intellectual freedom is what makes the net what
it is, and MS wants to quash that for its own reasons. I am worried,
worried, worried for the future of the net, my friends....

Daniel M. Debertin
katdan@mninter.net