Re: [TCLUG:5054] Is an mp3 Player Really All That Practical?

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Allie Micka wrote:

> Granted, having an mp3 player  in the car would really be handy and cut way
> down on scratched cd expenses, but is it safe?
>
> I mean, that equipmert wasn't really intended to withstand the 170 degrees
> of your portable greenhouse in the summer, and I can only imagine the horror
> you would bring to a a hard drive that's cooled overnight to a nice -20 when
> you turn the heat full on.
>
> Has anyone been able to make this work?  Do you need to find and plunk down
> wads of cash for ruggetized components of some kind? or a portable
> temperature control solution?  I dunno...

The mp3 player at www.empeg.com doesn't allow you to use the hard drive if
the temperature is below a certain level.  I think it also checks for an
upper limit as well.

I'm waiting for the email from empeg saying it's now my turn to buy one.
Not sure how I will justify it to the wife, but I think I have some time.
I'm like number 3500 on their list... :)

--
Tom Cross                     Voice: 320-253-1020    FAX: 320-253-6956
System Administrator                          E-mail: tomc@kendeco.com