RE: [TCLUG:5080] RE: Computer turn on

> I've got a very nice surge protector designed for computers connected to
> my computer, but maybe it wasn't enough. Don't UPS's start at over a
> hundred dollars?

Not anymore.  I've seen them for $89 or less retail.  I just bought a couple
refurbished ones for $25 and $45.  Of course the more you pay the longer you
can run without power, plus some come with software that can automatically
shut down your computer properly if you're not there to do it.

The quality of surge suppressor power strips varies a great deal.  I learned
this the hard way when one of Trimodal's depots took a major power surge and
three "protected" PCs smoked their power supplies.  The worst part was that
our Dell PC warranty didn't cover electrical damage.  They must assume that
the power strip warranty will take care of it.

> New info: when you press the power button the power supply give a faint
> buzz and then nothing, sounds like a capacitor discharging. I think it is
> the power supply, which is only $30 to replace.

Sounds like a good guess.

--
Carl Patten
Systems Administrator