Re: [TCLUG:5090] Linux and Kids

My 18 month old daughter loves a Windows game called "Jumpstart
Toddler".  Essentially it lets you do everything by hitting any key.  She
hasn't quite figured out the mouse yet but she can sure hit keys.  The game
does relatively sophisticated animations and music when keys are hit.  I
wish there was such a thing for Linux but I guess at this point that's
asking alot.  Maybe once Macromedia gets on the ball...

The thing I find amazing is that she's able to run the game on her own, she
opens and closes the CD drawer and autoplay takes over from there.  She has
to hit enter to get by the splash screen and sometimes that takes her
awhile.  The hardest part for her is climbing up on the chair so she can
reach the keyboard.

I wonder if it's a good thing or a bad thing that Linux isn't as usable as
Windows to < 2 yr-olds?  On the other hand she crashes Windows 98 alot,
apparently by hitting strange combinations of keyboard characters.  So far
she's never managed to crash the Linux machine.  (Even when it's logged in
as root.  Yeah I know letting a toddler fool around as root is pretty
crazy...but hey...)