RE: [TCLUG:5108] some newbie questions

welcome to customization!

to mount the hd 1 partition 1, use fdisk or disk druid ( don't fdisk it if you've already
installed win9x, of course..) or, more likely, the command "mount"
the "/dev/hda" is the hard drive so u would do something like this:

# mount /dev/hda1 /dosC

i would recogmend (strongly) picking up a book or two on unix/lenix.  they will help
 a lot!  plus look at the HOWTO's and FAQ's. an easy way to look at those files is
with less, cat, or maybe emacs (imo).  something like
# cd /usr/lib/HOWTO
# cat PPP_HOWTO.gz | less
or just
# emacs /usr/lib/HOWTO/whatever-HOWTO.gz

you might have to untar and un zip the files 1st tho..something like this:
# gunzip -d ./*.*

hope this helps.  ( check out the dos howto's, they were really helpful to me when
i first started to really get interested in linux)
-----------------
Original Text from ""<tclug-list@listserv.real-time.com>

>Greetings all, I am new to the list, and Linux, and have run into some
>snags during the final process of installing linux on my machine and am
>looking for some clarification.
>
>I installed redhat 5.2 on my system (along with win95 and BeOS using Be's
>boot manager which worked beautifully by the way).  Everything seems to be
>fine, except with Xwindows.
>
>My video card (diamond viper 550, TNT chipset) was not supported out of the
>box, however I found a patch on redhats webpage
>(XFree86-3_3_3_1-1_i386.rpm).  However as I dont have my modem working with
>linux I had to download it onto my dos partition.  Thus leading me to my
>first two questions:
>
>1) How do I mount that drive (HD1 partition 1), and will I be able to copy
>the package over and install it without trouble.
>
>2) How do i get my ppp working? (I have a true modem (not a winmodem), but
>it is pci.  I get 10 strings of gobblygook when I type in "pppd".  What now?)
>
>Thanks for any help
>nate

Chad Farley
http://www.angelfire.com/ak/cwfarley
SMILE--IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER AND MAKES OTHERS WONDER WHAT YOU'RE THINKING….