RE: Re: [TCLUG:5285] NTS4 vs. Linux study from Mindcraft.

all i will say on the topic is this, 1:  no  os is right for everyone in every sistuation
2: as someone who has worked on m$'s os's for a while i will take almost any
other os instead if i have the choice, or the chance, to do so.
ms makes a great and snazzy product, makes ya want to use it, then it bombs
out on you.  you think," hhmm..lets try that again, it probably just had a brain fart".
 but then it does it again, and again, and again. then add to the fact that the
systems get biger and bigger.  yea i know prices are dropping on hardware all the
time, but that is no reason why i should have to do a full system upgrade every
year or so...or at the least new/bigger hdd's. i don't want a 300-500 meg os that is
slow, has poor memory management, zero security, and continually bombs out.  i
want something that is fast, responsve, stable, able to stay on old hardware,
relatively small ....okokok..i'l get off the soap box....
but your right, how often do you hear people go off on support of winxx?

-----------------
Original Text from ""<tclug-list@listserv.real-time.com>

>Going through that article and the comments made me wonder if
>there are any people who are as strong advocates of NT as the
>"ordinary linux at home user" is of linux.
>
>I am kind of sure that mindcrafts mailboxes are going to be
>flooded with a lot of flames from "linux-huggers!" I do not
>ever see many Pro-WinXX comments from readers as there are pro-linux
>on the "linux-vs-WinXX" articles.
>
>Take no notice of me. I am just plain bored right now and not
>the least bit sleepy. I guess that is the reason why I am butting
>into this "discussion" if there is any, since I usually stay
>away from those debates of this kind.
>--
>
>Scott Dier wrote:
>>
>> Actually, its been done.
>>
>> www.zdnet.com/sr/stories/issure/0,4537,2196106,00.html
>>
>> Smart Reseller has been running a ton of pro-linux benchmarks and such
>> too other than this one.  So existing evidence is there that linux does
>> beat nt.

>> > I guess all that we need to do is prove them wrong eh ?  Which
>> > would mean duplicate the tests and see how they measure up.
>> >
>> > But then it would take the fun out of all the "discussions" that
>> > this is going to spawn. :-).
>> >
>> > I hope somebody from the "linux" turf with the know-how carries
>> > out the same test in the immediate future and show us all "how
>> > wrong" mindcraft is.
>> >
>> > my 2c,
>> > sandipan

Chad Farley
http://www.angelfire.com/ak/cwfarley
SMILE--IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER AND MAKES OTHERS WONDER WHAT YOU'RE THINKING….