Communicator 4.0 vs. 4.5

I'm running RH 5.2 at home, with whichever Communicator it comes
with (4.07, I think).  I've found that it's pretty lousy with
keeping track of how many mails are in each mail folder.  When I
grab new mail, it doesn't update the Message Center (or whatever
it's called).  I have to manually go into each folder for it to
update the unread messages count.  I have a lot of folders (and a
lot of mail filters), so it's kind of a pain to go through all of
them every time I get my mail.

Anyone else have a similar problem?  Or is it a configuration
bug?  If this is a known bug, has it been fixed in RH's latest
set of 4.0 RPM's?

Does anyone know of any reliable RPM's for Communicator 4.5.x?
Or do I still have to grab the "unsupported" tarball?  I would
just as soon upgrade to 4.5, because the mail filters work better
there.  How stable is 4.5.x on RH 5.2, anyway?  I'd rather have a
rock solid, slightly inconvenient mail program, and an unstable
convenient one.  (c:

Ahhh, pining for a solid Mozilla release...

Thanks,
John