Re: [TCLUG:5340] Communicator 4.0 vs. 4.5

> Does anyone know of any reliable RPM's for Communicator 4.5.x?
> Or do I still have to grab the "unsupported" tarball?  I would
> just as soon upgrade to 4.5, because the mail filters work better
> there.  How stable is 4.5.x on RH 5.2, anyway?  I'd rather have a
> rock solid, slightly inconvenient mail program, and an unstable
> convenient one.  (c:

In my experience, the binaries for Netscape that come with RedHat (well,
RH 5.0 and 5.1) are buggy (It may be better in 5.2, I can't really
recall), so I recommend upgrading anyway.  Besides, I like the 3-pane
view for looking at email (like what was in 3.x), and 4.5x brings that
back.

In my opinion, Netscape really should support the glibc2 version of
Communicator (unless they're just trying to skip a generation and
support glibc2.1 ;-)

Anyway, it's fairly easy to install.  First you do 'rpm -e' on the
already installed RPMs (run 'rpm -qa|grep netscape' to see all of
them).  Get the tarball, extract it, and run the install script
('ns-install', I think).  It will place all of the stuff in a directory
you request (Usually /usr/local/netscape or something like that).  Then,
make a symbolic link in one of your 'bin' directories to point to the
/usr/local/netscape/netscape executable.

Oh, BTW, get 4.51, not 4.5..
--
|               Mike Hicks | Linux User Since: 1.2.13
: http://umn.edu/~hick0088 | mailto:hick0088@tc.umn.edu
`              icq:6883760 | Current Kernel: 2.2.5