Re: [TCLUG:5340] Communicator 4.0 vs. 4.5

Brady Hegberg wrote:

> I recently switched from 4.07 to 4.51 so I could use the email.  I have had
> 4.51 crash 2 or 3 times for no apparent reason in the last month. This
> didn't happen with 4.07.

How long do you usually leave it up?  Do you restart it every day
or two, or does it go for a week straight?  Which distribution
are you using?  RH5.2?  RPM's or tarballs?

>  Not as bad as the problems I've had on the
> windows side though.  (I just got a Creative Voodoo Banshee card and my
> computer now freezes whenever I pull up Slashdot under Navigator - only
> Slashdot, no other page causes a crash.)  All in all 4.51 is pretty nice if
> you've got the RAM to feed it.

Yep, I run 4.50 at work on NT, and I can leave it up for days and
days with no problems.  It was much worse in Win95.  Every time I
sent a mail (but only in one of my account profiles), 4.5 would
crash violently; the deadly blue screen would then pop up every
few minutes even after shutting Netscape down (complaining about
ifsmgr), forcing a reboot.  That prompted me to move that email
account (this one) to my Linux box, in spite of having to deal
with 4.0.  What a great feeling it was to be able to send mail
from home again!  (c:

Anyway, it sounds like 4.51 is fairly reliable, so I'll probably
go ahead and upgrade to it.

Thanks,
John