Re: [TCLUG:5377] Talk to me a bit about domains...

At 02:15 PM 4/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I'm in the process of setting up some DNS stuff at home.
>
>I've got a firewall set up, with a static IP address, connected to a
>DSL link.  In that same box, I've got another NIC that is hooked into
>my LAN via a hub.
>
>My official domain name is: "skj.dsl.visi.com"

This is nearly identical to what I have at home. I installed Bind on my
server to handle the DNS stuff for the outside interface because I
registered my own domain name.  On the inside I just have a host file on
all my other machines that holds all 6 of my machine names.  Probably not
the best way but it never changes so it works.  So, I can refer to my
server either as mydomain.com or as sphinx (it's name in the host files)
from the inside.  I suppose I could wipe out the host files and add the
other machines to my DNS.  If I did this would I see sphinx.mydomain.com
simply as sphinx from within my zone? Hmm?

~BR