Re: [TCLUG:5477] Cat and a few other questions...

> > cat-ing the files together probably won't work -- they would all have different
> > headers (I think).  Most likely, a player would still only play the first sound
> > of the four..
>
> Cating them together should work fine. I've done this with mp3s.
>
> You should be able to run
>
> cat a.wav b.wav c.wav d.wav > e.wav
>
> as long as you don't mind e.wav being overwritten.
>
> Hans

Hope this isn't a waste of bandwidth.
My first post, and I won't claim to be
an expert, but I do know a little about
sound files and perceptual coding.

mp3 files are streaming format
perceptual coding -- therefore you get
sound and subcode all at the same time.
WAV files are not -- they are set up as
a header section followed by a data
section, which consists of x-bit words.

If you want to concatenate them, you
need to strip the headers from the files
to be appended, and I don't recall, but
you may need to change a length string
in the header of the file to which they
are to be appended.  I'll bet dollars to
donuts that it does work fine with mp3,
but either plays a.wav and stops or
possibly plays a.wav, a burst (possibly
damaging to speakers} then b.wav, burst,
+ ...

I'd try it myself, but I haven't yet got
as far as configuring a driver for my
motherboard pnp soundcard, but I
wouldn't mind hearing about results.

Best,