Re: [TCLUG:5594] NO TCLUG meeting this Saturday.

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Michael Hicks wrote:

> * New Distributions
>   I hear Caldera has a nice new way of installing (play tetris while you install
> ;-)  Plus, what sorts of wacky things can we do with RH6 or any others?

I'd be interested in this even though I'm a hardcore Slackware fan...I'd
love to see Caldera's new Windows-Based install, and their desktop setup
and bootup screen (graphical from what I've heard!). Not that'd *I'd* use
it, but for my family ;)

> * IPv6
>   Next generation Internet Protocol (but maybe I'm the only one that
> finds that interesting)

Yeah, you probably are... ;)

> * Security
>   What to do to keep your system safe from crackers..  Services to avoid, neat
> tricks, etc., etc...

*DEFINATELY* This is a very important topic...esp. with a lot of new users
getting into Linux nowadays...I mean, most distros install in a *very*
insecure manner, then there's the known flaws in wuftpd and pine that can
screw you over...There should be a lecture on the importance of using ssh2
at all times...

> * 3D stuff
>   How to set up a VooDoo (or maybe TNT) card, and get it to work with
> OpenGL and other fun 3D things, plus maybe some generic Mesa stuff..

I'd be interested in this too, cuz I have a TNT, but I don't think there
are any GL things in linux that work with it...Mesa is just for 3dfx cards
currently isn't it?

> * CD Burning
>   What devices work (IDE? SCSCI?), how well do they work (can I still browse the
> web while burning?), etc...

That'd be cool too...I want a burner, damnit...

Luke