RE: [TCLUG:5668] Please recommend Network cards for RHlinux

-----Original Message-----
From: NanTu [mailto:tuxxx005@tc.umn.edu]
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 1999 5:06 PM
To: tclug-list@listserv.real-time.com
Subject: [TCLUG:5668] Please recommend Network cards for RHlinux

I am building a computer for a friend. I will use RH Linux. He uses MediaOne
express cable modem. He wants to network his current Windows NT machine with
this Linux box and use Linux to connect to Internet. Therefore, he wants two
Network cards. He also wants two 10/100M or at least one 10M to MediaOne and
one 100M to his other computers.

My questions:
1.  Which Network Cards do I buy that will work for RH Linux? 3Com and Intel
are good but are 50$ and above. I do not mind buying them, but any cheaper
ones better yet?

I have same setup, but I no Linux yet, I have two 10/100 3com PCI cards I
picked up second hand for 30$ a piece.  You can look on pricewatch.com for a
deal.
2. Dose these two network card have to be the same?
No; at least not in the windows environment.  If windows 95 can support it,
I'm sure Linux can.

3. How do I set up the two NICs to connect one to MediaOne and the other to
home network? I guess that MediaOne NIC is dynamic IP and the home network
can be a fixed fake IP.

No.  Both will be fixed using a MediaOne external surfboard modem.  The M1
NIC will be 192.168.100.2 and the M1 cable modem is 192.168.100.1.  This
seems messed up, but the modem actually handles all the real-IP's.  When you
want to connect to the Internet you go to your browser and surf to
http://192.168.100.1/ then click the webform connect button.  This sounds
kinda hokey pokey, but I love it!  If I'm upstairs and modem computer is
downstairs and offline, I can connect by using the modems webpages all from
the remote computer.
Dan Willenbring