Re: [TCLUG:7343] JetDirect servers

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Tim Wilson wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with HP's JetDirect print servers
> (int. or ext.)? Will these work with Linux print clients as easily
> as Win9x clients? How do you configure them? I'm looking for a bit
> of background info.

Yeah, it's pretty easy.  In fact, I don't even have my WinNT or win9x
clients using the JetDirect software.  I've got my linux machine
running lpd and sharing the printers through Samba.  In fact, I've
never even seen the JetDirect software in use. :)

For example, the "/etc/printcap" entry for our HP 5 is as follows:

hp5-cust:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp5-cust:\
        :rm=192.168.1.30:\
        :rp=raw:\
        :sh:

You have to create a spool directory for the printer and make sure you
give 'lp' ownership and group permissions.

	# chown lp.lp /var/spool/lpd/<directory>

And there you go...

^chewie

http://nerp.net/~chewie  <<--- Check it out!  I'm selling my truck!