voice recognition (was: [...] X10 offer)

> [....]  But I
> haven't found a free speech recognition software (like viavoice) that works
> on MS.  Is there any other speech recognition software for linux ?

Unni -- Do you mean "... that works on Linux"? If so, I agree. I think
it's cool that IBM is releasing their ViaVoice client for free, but I
don't know that I would use it if their training software isn't even
available for purchase.

Actually, three of my friends and I were talking about doing this. (One
is going blind, so he's interested in voice recognition and voice
synthesis software.) The problem, for me, is that if I put the effort
into this, I want it to be useful. I don't want IBM (or whichever large
company with a better reputation than a nerd working in his living room
while watching reruns of "Dharma and Greg") to release their full
product for free just to lure people away from my application-to-be.

(Is this a larger problem? Are we less willing to use mySQL since Oracle
released its database for free?) What do you folks think? Should I give
this a go anyway? If I do.... Does anyone know the procedure for
declaring my intention, so that I can get help if I need to? (Should I
never end a question with a preposition?) Should I speak with someone?
Who? Should I get sponsorship? From whom? Anyone want to help?

--

Nothing convinces me that computing is an art so much as a bad install.

David Guy Brizan          brizan@freenet.msp.mn.us          612-814-8223