Linux sound output

I run Mathematica v3.01 under Linux (Mandrake 6.0, 2.2.9 kernel).  I
recently got the OSS driver to talk to my sound hardware.  KDE and other
apps do, but as yet I cannot get Mathematica to output sound correctly.
I have tried starting with the -cleanStart option to rebuild prefs.

If there is anyone with either the specific information or enough
general knowledge of these matters to help me get Mathematica talking to
OSS correctly, I'd sure appreciate the input.

Thanks-

Phil Mendelsohn

"Love is a lot like math -- a simple idea,
but it can get complicated."
--R. Drabek