RE: [TCLUG:7361] Voice software

I tried this over the weekend and it didn't work.  The README says that
recording is done at 16KHz and 16 bit data which should suit most sound
cards.  Unfortunately my grandmotherboard has an 8-bit built-in sound card
(the packard bell PB640 - sheesh !).  Could that be the problem ?  dd and
cat using /dev/dsp works fine.

The documentation also talks about calibrating mic in silence level using a
mixer s/w until "... the value is stable at zero."  What does this mean ?
Should the mixer's mic level be set to zero or should the level displayed by
kvoicecrontrol be zero ?  The level i'm getting is 99 and it just doesn't
change from there.  As a result the "sample utterance" detection doesn't
work.  Even the LED style display in the panel shows nothing.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

-Unni

P.S.  Has anyone used either EARS or AbbotDemo speech recognition s/w ?
Trying to find out if they're worth trying.  I've read mixed reviews.