Re: [TCLUG:7474] Semi-off-topic: Speaker noise

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Joe Laha wrote:

> OK, I'm going to flex my AV geek muscles here. Buzzing in speakers usually
> means something is not grounded correctly, check your speaker cables for
> broken insulation, exposed wires..ect. After that try looking at your plugs,
> make sure you're using three-prong plugs when plugging into the wall.
> Hope that helps.

Let me contribute too!  Some wall sockets are not grounded properly.  So
you might have a three-prong socket on the wall, but it doesn't mean
you've got a grounded three-prong socket on the wall.  Before you
investigate, make sure you trip the breaker for that socket.  Then make
sure the ground on the plug is attached to the bare copper wire from the
power cable.

^chewie