GTK and GIMP - versioning problems...

Has anyone had experience with version problems with GTK and GIMP?

In the process of installing Igloo FTP, I had to install GTK+-1.2.3.  I
managed to wipe the GTK files installed by Red Hat when Gimp was installed
in the process.  Consequently, Gimp won't work now...

I've since downloaded the latest version of Gimp and it will NOT install
with GTK+-1.2.3, it's looking for 1.2.0 (I think).

The listed solution in the INSTALL file is to remove the incorrect GLIB/GTK
files...this is where I start losing my cool a little - what files??

Thanks for any help you can throw my way....

- Nick Ryberg