Re: [TCLUG:7534] shared firectories

--- Tim Wilson <wilson@chemsun.chem.umn.edu> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'd like to create a directory for sharing documents with my 9th grade
> science colleagues. Specifically, let's say that there are three teachers,
> Tim, Linus, and Alan. Each have home directories in /etc/tim, etc. How and
> where can I make a directory to this group to share? I know this is a
> rather simple question, but I'm not sure about the permissions on the
> shared directory.

I think a fast way to do it would be with groups. Add a line to /etc/group,
giving a name, a group number, and then add tim, linus, and alan as members.
Pretend for a moment that you called the group 'share'. Create your directory
somewhere, let's say /foo/bar. Then do 'chown root.share /foo/bar' giving group
ownership to 'share'. Finally, 'chmod g+rw /foo/bar' should allow all members
of group 'share' to have read/write access to /foo/bar. Change the permissions
according to what you want, though. Hope this gets you started.

Cheers,
Joel