Re: [TCLUG:7534] shared firectories

On Fri, 13 Aug 1999, Joel A. Koepp wrote:

> I think a fast way to do it would be with groups. Add a line to /etc/group,
> giving a name, a group number, and then add tim, linus, and alan as members.
> Pretend for a moment that you called the group 'share'. Create your directory
> somewhere, let's say /foo/bar. Then do 'chown root.share /foo/bar' giving group
> ownership to 'share'. Finally, 'chmod g+rw /foo/bar' should allow all members
> of group 'share' to have read/write access to /foo/bar. Change the permissions
> according to what you want, though. Hope this gets you started.

Thanks Joel. It almost works.

I created the group, made a directory for the group in /home, added the
users to the group, did chown root.groupname /home/groupname, and chmod
760 /home/groupname. Unfortunately, I can't cd to that directory from my
personal directory. I get:

[wilson@galileo wilson]$ cd /home/atlas
bash: cd: /home/atlas: Permission denied

BTW, chmod 770 /home/groupname doesn't help.

Ideas?

-Tim

--
Timothy Wilson       | "The faster you  |  Check out:
Henry Sibley H.S.    |  go, the shorter | http://slashdot.org/