Re: [TCLUG:7624] which app for sound recording

Christopher Reid Palmer wrote:

> schewe@tcfreenet.org wrote:
> >
> > I'm recording a bunch of audio casettes through the line input on my
> > sound card.  I ahd been using broadcast 2000, but the evaluation period
> > ran out.  I don't really care if it's console or a GUI.  What do you
> > guys recommend?

snd seems to be the one I'm going towards, but I should preface that by
saying that I'm used to working on a special purpose digital audio
editor (hardware and software.)  There may be more stuff there than you
care to use / take time to learn.

> > I'm going to be converting these to mp3's, for listening at work, so I
> > need 8000 Hz, 16-bit stereo sound files.

Why?  Is this a function of your encoder, or playback dev?  the mp3 spec
will do other sample rates / wordlengths.

As a side note, are any of you aware of the MPEG-AAC format?  It is a
pretty decent improvement over mp3, but I haven't seen too many people
speaking about it.  Is it that it hasn't trickled down from the audio
world yet, or is there some dynamic at work here of which I'm not aware?

Best,

Phil Mendelsohn