Re: [TCLUG:7714] easy shutdown

Ben Luey wrote:

> Is it possible to use a different keycode? -- I'd like to keep the
> control-alt-delete be a reboot. How do I do this? man inittab shows
> that crtlaltdel is a specific action, so I can't just change it to
> ctrlaltins (for insert?), can I?

Ben,

I was trying to do this recently as well. AFter much digging I found what I
thought were the instructions in /usr/doc/console-tools. Apparently in RedHat
this has obsoleted the kbd package. Anyway, it tells you the lines to add to
your keymap file to make CTRL-ALT-END power downt the system (my desired
behavior).

You add two lines to your keymap file...after not devising a different way of
doing it I gunzipped the /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.kmap.gz file and
inserted the lines, which do indeed look like 'alt keycode 79 = KeyboardSignal',
and gzipped it back up.

Then I added a line to /etc/inittab exactly like it showed:
kb::kbrequest:/sbin/shutdown -h now

Upon rebooting, the keyboard combination does nothing. At least I gave it a
shot. Anyone with more ideas? These seems like a useful thing to be able to do.

Cheers,
Joel