NT vs Linux (was Re: [TCLUG:7737] )

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Clayton T. Fandre wrote:
Re: http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/exec/compares/ntlinux.asp

> I never know Microsoft was so good at fiction.

The benchmarking isn't actually fiction.  What they quoted were
documentable statistics.  What they fail to mention is that the
computer configurations used in these tests were set up in NT's favor.
Everyone knows that Linux SMP is not that great yet.  Linux does SMP,
but not well...yet.  Linux's TCP stack also doesn't handle multiple
NIC cards in a Load Balancing scenario as well as NT does...yet.  If
they had compared a single processor, single NIC NT system vs a linux
system, the benchmarks would have been closer.

The point is that although the article M$ has published is not
fiction, it is definitely slanted.

> I especially like the security part:
> Linux - Inherits the security flaws of UNIX (for example it's easy to
> gain root access via poorly written applications).

They're writing for the point-n-click administrators.  Any real
administrator would sit down, identify potential security leaks, and
stopper them up.  NT has other security risks...

> But I guess everything can be written to be biased. Does anyone know of
> some accurate comparisons between Linux/NT? I'd like to put them up on
> the web. (And no, Mindcraft is NOT accurate.) Now that I think of it,
> that would make a great project for the TCLUG. Why don't we do our own
> benchmark comparisons. Anyone willing to lead up this effort?

There are some more realistic benchmarks out there.  Too bad I didn't
keep the links around.  The benchmark test sounds fun, though.  I'd be
willing to try it out.

Later!

    ^chewie

| Chad Walstrom           mailto:chewie@wookimus.net |
| ICQ: 9985127           http://wookimus.net/~chewie |
 Need a new truck?  Check out my '97 Explorer 2-door
   Sport at http://wookimus.net/~chewie/truck.html