Re: [TCLUG:7739] NT vs Linux (was Re: [TCLUG:7737] )

> A nifty message box cyber-legend I've heard:
> Windows NT has detected that your mouse has moved. Please reboot for
> the changes to take effect.

I have a similar story that's not a legend. My wife moved her hard drive
(NT) from one machine to another, keeping the same components (monitor,
mouse on the same port, etc.).

With every power up, the left and right mouse buttons would "exchange"
themselves. She had to open the mouse control panel (note: NOT make any
changes) for the buttons to "un-exchange" themselves. (She eventually
reinstalled from scratch.)

I think the fact that MicroSoft feels the need to compare NT to Linux
speaks for itself. As far as benchmarks, I think a better figure in the
NT vs. Linux debate is total cost of ownership -- necessary hardware for
running the OS, application costs, personnel costs.... Odds on NT to
lose that battle badly, consistently and ungracefully.

--

Nothing convinces me that computing is an art so much as a bad install.

David Guy Brizan          brizan@freenet.msp.mn.us          612-814-8223