RE: [TCLUG:7745] Cable Modems, DSL,

At 10:55 AM 8/20/99 -0500, you wrote:
>There's a company called Covad Technologies (http://www.covad.com) also
>providing DSL services in Minnesota besides USWest.  Their ISP partner is
>Onvoy (http://www.onvoy.com).  Personally, i feel their prices are too high.
>Don't know if they can solve the digital loop issue (whatever that is).
>
>Or you could move ? ;-)
>
>-Unni

The IDSL service Onvoy provides (HyperLink 144) works over Digital
Loops.

Onvoy pricing appears very competitive with the price of HyperLink 768
(768Kbps downstream, 384Kbps upstream) at $69/mo which includes
a static IP, 2 email addresses and 5MB Web storage.  Right now there
is $zero installation fee, and first month free, but you pay the cost to buy
the router/modem.

Unfortunately I can only get the Onvoy HyperLink 144 option.  144Kbps
both directions at only (ouch?) $79.00 per month, no installation fee, but I
buy the Flow Point 144 4 port hub/router.  This includes a static IP, 2
email addresses and 5MB Web storage.

That's no typo, HyperLink 144 is more expensive than HyperLink 768,
but the HyperLink 144 is available to virtually all metro locations, whereas
the 768 is only available to some locations within about 2 miles of their
CO.

Randy
mailto:rhayman@visi.com