RE: [TCLUG:7745] Cable Modems, DSL,

Found this off the USWest website.

Digital Loop Carrier
If your phone wire is served by Digital Loop Carrier (DLC) equipment, you
will not be able to receive MegaBit Services. A DLC is a multiplexing device
in the telephone network used to provide economical voice service to high
growth and suburban areas. A solution to provide xDSL based data services
will be available in prototype 2Q98. Extensive network testing and
evaluation is required to provide service out of DLC devices.

2Q98 !  If they have a new ETA, it may be worth waiting for.

-Unni