Re: [TCLUG:7783] Autoconf/automake

On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 11:18:11PM -0500, Yaron wrote:

> When you tell Glade to build the sourec code for your project, it makes a
> lot of files you're supposed to use automake and autoconf for. It requires
> the latest versions, which I have installed. However, running ./autogen.sh
> produces:

> processing .
> Creating ./aclocal.m4 ...
> Running gettextize...  Ignore non-fatal messages.
> ./autogen.sh: gettextize: command not found
> Making ./aclocal.m4 writable ...
> Running aclocal  ...
> aclocal: configure.in: 17: macro `AM_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in library

This is most likely the problem.  You need to have the GNU gettext
library installed, for internationalization.  Just grab the latest
version off of a GNU mirror, or rpmfind, or whatever.

> Running autoheader...
> Running automake --gnu  ...
> configure.in: 17: required file `./ABOUT-NLS' not found
> Makefile.am:3: required directory ./intl does not exist
> src/Makefile.am:15: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
> Running autoconf ...
> Running ./configure ...
> ./configure: syntax error near unexpected token
> `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(project1,'
> ./configure: ./configure: line 524: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(project1, 0.1)'

This is kind of misleading, and implies incorrectly that something
is wrong with automake.  The real problem is that autoconf bailed
out prematurely when it didn't find the gettext library, and thus
didn't finish expanding the m4 macros in your configure.in file
into your configure script file.  Bash doesn't recognize the
non-expanded AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE macro, and thus complains about the
syntax error.

My bet is that after you install gettext, it should work much better.

Good luck,
John