building kernel in RH 6.0

Hi:

Over the last day or two, I have been attempting to
build a kernel in the RedHat 6.0 (2.2.5-15 kernel)
environment.  The problem I am having is that:

1. make boot produces a kernel that is too big.
   With most everything either removed or module,
   the kernel will build, but lilo complains that
   the kernel is too big when running /sbin/lilo
   after copying the kernel into /boot and modifying
   lilo.conf.

2. bzImage kernel does not boot properly on my system
   (Fujitsu Lifebook 635T notebook with 80 MB RAM and
   6.4 GB HD).
   Setting the specific heads, cyls, and sectors as
   an append line in lilo.conf, the bzImage kernel
   only gets to "LI", which probably indicates that
   the disk geometry is not recognized.
   Using the "linear" keyword instead of the append
   line, allows the bzImage to boot, but it hangs
   while attempting to find the various modules.

So, it seems that unless I am doing something
wrong with bzImage, I will need to get a zImage
kernel built.  The one time I got a zImage kernel
small enough to be both built and bootable, it was
because I also made the disk drive support modular.
This is a recipe for disaster, but I knew that ahead of
time.  At least I was able to determine that a zImage
kernel would begin to boot.

Does anybody have any ideas?  I did not have these
issues with RedHat 5.2 (2.0.36 kernel).  I did see
via dejanews that people were complaining the egcs
built a larger kenrel than the older gcc (2.7.x ?).

I have some driver work to be done for Linux and
I was hoping to get it done in the 2.2.x environment,
but may have to go back to 2.0.36, since I feel more
confident when I have control over my environment.
Other than this, the RH 6.0 seems fine.

Thanks,

Tony