Re: [TCLUG:7799] Partitioning Troubles...

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Andrew S. Zbikowski wrote:

> My soultion is to install Windows on hy slave hard drive (/dev/hdb) and have
> lilo make dos/windows think my slave drive is the master drive.
> That way, windows writes it's tables to the slave drive and won't mess with
> lilo on the master drive.
<snip>

This is done by using the map-drive function in lilo.conf under your
DOS/Win boot entry, like so:

other=/dev/hdb1
	label=Windows98
	map-drive=0x80
		to=0x81
	map-drive=0x81
		to=0x80

This makes LILO tell DOS/Win that hda is hdb and hdb is hda, thus
confusing it enough for it to work. The map-drive lines map the drive at
0x80 (the hex address for hda) to 0x81 (the hex address for hdb), and
vice-versa.

Hope this helps.

Kevin R. Bullock