Mouse pointer freezes

Hi,
Whenever I try to use my machine after it goes into
screen saver mode the mouse pointer just will not
work.
This usually happens, when I turn off the monitor at
night, and turn it back on next evening.
Other than mouse, X seems to be working fine. I can
switch between applications using alt+tab and go to
terminal window to get myself out of this mess.

And this has started happening only recently, I
haven't changed any configuarion.

Couple of question :

1. Anyone has any idea, what might be happening ?
BTW, my mouse is connected using X10 pass-through
connector. But I'm using it for a while now, and this
problem has appeared only since last week.

2. In order to get out of this freeze, I switch to
init
level 3 and back to 5 (telinit 3 and then telinit 5)
Is this too extreme ? Is there any better way ?

Thanks,
-Mandar