Re: [TCLUG:7940] Mount points...

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Ben Beuchler wrote:

> I'm doing a fresh install of RH 6.0 on a box that is going to be a
> (hopefully) busy apache and qmail server.  It seems I have heard
> descriptions of ways of partitioning your harddrive and distributing the
> mount points that will allow you to reinstall Linux without having to wipe
> out the directories containing configuration information and other local
> stuff.  Any recommendations?
>
> Up until now I've always just made two partitions: / and swap.  I *know*
> there's got to be a better way...

A mail server should have the spools on a seperate partition.

A Web server should have its site dirs on a seperate partition.

If you put /usr/local on its own partition, you won't lose your custon
goodies when you reinstall or upgrade. RHL's RPM obviates the need for a
seperate /usr, since you can non-destructuvely upgrade. You may want to
mount /usr/ read-only, however, in which case you'd need a seperate
partition. Read-only /usr is good.

A seperate /tmp and /var will help you stop overflows and badness.

-- Chris

  Christopher Reid Palmer : http://www.innerFireWorks.com/