Re: [TCLUG:7940] Mount points...

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Ben Beuchler wrote:

> Up until now I've always just made two partitions: / and swap.  I *know*
> there's got to be a better way...

Here's what I do for an avg setup...

Device	Mt Pt	Size		Comments
hda1	/	100 - 150 MB
hda2	swap	2*<physical ram>
hda3	/usr	1 - 1.5 GB 	(for all of those programs and libs)
hda4	ext	<size-hda1,3,4>	(for the logical devices)
hda5	/tmp	50 - 150 	(up to you...not used much)
hda6	/var	300+ MB 	(good avg...more if you need it)
hda7	/home	<remaining>	(whatever's left)

If you're short on space, you can throw out the tmp, and size down the
usr and home directories.  If you're doing web hosting, I like to give
the site a user shell account and configure apache to look into that
home directory.  FTP sites can usually be found under /home/ftp/pub...
Etc.  /usr should be kept for binaries, libraries, and shares.  If you
start running out of room, you can always add another harddrive and
resize your partitions, changing some mount points to the new
harddrive.

Later!

    ^chewie

| Chad Walstrom           mailto:chewie@wookimus.net |
| ICQ: 9985127           http://wookimus.net/~chewie |
 Need a new truck?  Check out my '97 Explorer 2-door
   Sport at http://wookimus.net/~chewie/truck.html