Re: [TCLUG:7940] Mount points...

Kevin Bullock said:
> hda6	Linux ext2	800.12	/var

So is there any special incantation needed to get this mount to work?  A
couple weeks ago, I was installing Debian on an old 486 (as if there's any
other kind...) and, having just read an article suggesting that you put /var
on a separate partition, I set aside some space and told the installer to
mount /var on it.

When it came time to try booting the installation from scratch, it repeatedly
hung with the last message being that it was starting syslog.  Putting two
and two together, I went back into the installer, told it to put /var onto
the same partition as /, and it worked just fine.

Was there something extra that I (or, more accurately, the installer) should
have done to make that work?  Or is there some other likely reason for my
problems?