Newbie Problem with Telnet - It's working now, but why...

Well, i got into some newsgroups and found a lot of people complaining
about slow connections. The concensus seemed to be a DNS/hosts problem.
Since I'm working with static IP addresses, I put the IP address of the
client computer in the etc/hosts file on the Linux box. The problem went
away. It had been taking about 2 minutes to send back a login prompt, which
was why I thought it wasn't working.

I can't remember any issues like this with my previous load of RH5.0 on the
same computer. Does anyone have any ideas as to what changed between these
two versions? Now I'm just curious.

Bob Nolte

PC4U
Telephone  (612) 941-2192