Re: [TCLUG:10692] StarOffice

On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 03:32:10PM -0600, Brent Metzler wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Scott wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Brian Ackermann wrote:
> >
> > > I don't suppose there is a local mirror of the Sun's StarOffice suite anywhere about, eh?
> >
> >      I'm not sure why anyone would want StarOffice to begin
> > with.  I tried out the copy that came with SuSE 6.2 and it
> > ground my box (K6 300, 32mb) to almost a complete halt.
> > Unless McNealy pulled a magic wand of +5 efficiency out
> > of his ass, I bet it's not much better now.
>
> Didn't run very well on the 486sx-25 with 8meg ram either.  What a shame
> :)
>
> Thankfully, there are more powerful machines to run more powerful software
> now.

	There's no decent reason for a word processor to crawl on a
K6-300 with 32mb.  If it were a desktop publishing package designed for
something like newspapers, books, or magazine layouts, yeah, I could see
that not being quite beefy enough.  But a word processor?

--
Its name is Public Opinion.  It is held in reverence. It settles everything.
Some think it is the voice of God.  Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet

PGP signature