RE: [TCLUG:10692] StarOffice

On  1 Dec, Schlough, Mark wrote:
> 	The import/export features for Word 95 and 97 are quite necessary in
> today's luddite world.  People send Word(tm) documents in their e-mails
> (oblivious to the fact that it's a closed proproetary format) and are not
> capable of converting it to a more open format.  Thus my wife needs to read
> the files, thus the uses SO.  Perfect, no, but when the need arises to fire
> up the big ol' whale of an app, it fits the bill.

I believe the file format is actually published.  You can also use free
programs to view these files.  There is a free viewer for Windows that
can be downloaded from Microsoft's site, there are ones for power point
and excel too.  Under Linux you can use things like MsWordView to
convert them to text or html.

--
Jon Schewe
http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe