RE: StarOffice - changed to an anti-anti-NT rant

Ok - I can't take it anymore... I've got an old (relatively) Pentium MMX
machine (maybe 200 Mhz, not sure) with 64 meg of RAM, and NT works just
fine.  Response times for just about any operation are usually below the
human threshold for noticeable, much less annoying.

I've also got a new P3 500 with 128 Meg, and NT is very fast on it... large
apps like Outlook, Word, etc... load extremely fast, and there is NO
noticeable lag for normal operations.  Anything slow is usually due to LAN
lag.  As far as stability goes, I've yet to encounter the blue screen I got
to know so well in Win95 land.

If NT doesn't run well on a dual P3 500, you must have 8 meg of RAM in it
(something I doubt).

I _like_ Linux.  It's faster than hell when it works, but there is still a
considerable learning curve for using it.  When you make it more user
friendly with KDE/Gnome/whatever, it turns any machine (except, perhaps, a
dual P3 500) into sludge.

I'm tired of the endless rants on how awful MS products are.  Speaking from
a strictly user's point of view, Linux in all of its various configurations
has a long, long way to go before it's as useful and easy to learn as
Windows.  Sure, MS is the big, bad bully of the PC Software play yard, but
it's spent a lot more time/money on making the products work the way the
users want them to, and not just the way the developers would like them to
work (forgive my fractured grammar).

One thing that the Linux distributions have all seemed to pick up on is the
requirement for large, multi-disk installation sets.  That makes downloading
a new distribution or update unthinkable for your average 56K user.

Ok - I'll step down from my soap box.

- Nick