Re: scsi confusion

> From: Colin Kilbane <kilb0023@tc.umn.edu>

> I have recently aquired a used seagate barracuda, model st15150wd, that
> may or may not be working.  I pinned it out to id 8 and plugged it in to
> my uw scsi2 chain and everything on my chain dissapeared, whilest it was
> connected that is. The odds are that it is dead, but would anyone know
> why it would have such a drastic effect?

If the drive is so dead that it shorts out the entire SCSI bus, then all
devices would not work. And wide SCSI has another addres bit, so you get
addresses 0 to 15. If the drive has terminators that are bad, the same
symptom could occur.

And check the obvious stuff: The adapter takes an address. Check for other
devices and addresses (scanner, tape, whatever). Try another address
anyway. Try a new cable. etc.

Chris Schumann <whizkid@dwave.net>

"Wait a minute, Joe. If what you're saying is true,
then I still don't care." - Dave Nelson, News Radio