Re: [TCLUG:10860] MGA G200 vs TNT2

Yaron wrote:

>   Hi,
>
> Just thought some of you may be interested...
>
> I few months ago, when the q3demos started coming out, I decided to get a
> decent video card. I have a Matrox G200, and it just wouldn't do 3D
> decently.
>
> So I got an nVidia TNT2. It was ok. I could play Quake!
>
> But after seeing how TNT2 performed under Winodws, and hearing rumours
> about the G200 being really good on the list, I had to try. I took my G200
> back out of my wife's machine.
>
> And it's awesome! It performs a lot better than the TNT2. NOT a lot better
> than the TNT2 under Windows, but still.
>
> The only prob was my wife's Doze machine went nuts whenI tried to install
> the TNT2 in it (: Hopefully when nVidia's drivers get better reinstalling
> it won't be as painful.
>
> -Yaron

  Ok, to start this off my mom is looking for a decent machine, and I am
certain
it will never run anything but windows.  My nephew who lives at home with her
(and my sister and father) is the little game freak.
  I have been hunting around on the web looking at stuff, and making
suggestions
etc, and low and behold she comes home with a Compaq Pressario :(
Bought from a local radio shack no less....  The dude at the store basicly
lied
to her when he said that the  _built in_  AGP graphics could be bypassed and
upgraded.
It has no AGP slot, only two spare PCI slots.
Thank goodness she has 30 days in which to return it ...
I was wondering if anyone could either recommend a total system, or just
a graphics card to shoot for.  Was also wondering if the AGP 1x, 2x, and 4x
depended on the card, the motherboard or both.
For example I have an AMD system here that I built.  The MB supports
AGP 1x, the card I have in it supports 2x, and while it works, could it
work better with a newer MB?
I don't know beans about 3D stuff, my idea of a game is either StarCraft or
a good MUD <G>
(not a Quake Player)
RS