Re: [TCLUG:10969] GNOME configuration questions/musings

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

>         I've been trying to use Linux as my desktop system at home recently;
> with rather marginal success. I'm using RH 6.1, 2.2.12-20 (stock), and
> GNOME/E or FVWM or FVWM2.

Well, keep trying, there's nothing like success after struggle :)

>         what do people use for an ICQ workalike program? I've been trying
> GnomeICU; but it requires GNOME (and I prefer FVWM2 in a lot of ways), and
> it crashes on a regular basis, usually crashing GNOME, often crashing X (I
> need to take this up with the author, since I can cause crashes repeatably).
> I'd like to find a reliable ICQ workalike that runs happily under FVWM/FVWM2.

I've used the ICQ Java client.  It's not full featured, and it requires
you getting Java working, but it's good enough.  Check freshmeat.net for
other ICQ clients.  I know there are a few.

-Brent