Re: [TCLUG:11090] 'Static binaries' or 'Guest accounts'

> Hot damn!  I was pretty darn sure the permissions were supposed to be 111
> for everything in the /bin and /lib directories...  But out of complete
> desperation I switched to the root of the server and ran 'chmod -R 777 *'
> and it works!  Now I just need to figure out which ones I can tighten down
> a bit.  Obviously, having 777 on everything is just SCREAMING for someone
> to upload a root kit and wipe out poor little Mercury.

Try chmod 555...

What distribution? Usually there's a statically linked ls in with the
ftpd package. I think RedHat puts it in with the anon-ftp package...

Which brings up another stupid ftpd question. How do I get damned RedHat
to allow anonymous uploads? I've made an /incoming directory, chmod 777
even, and it still won't allow uploads...