Re: [TCLUG:10969] GNOME configuration questions/musings

>No, not necessarily. Any program exec(1,2)'ed from X will cause your whole
>X session to die if it dies (GNOME, I'm looking in your direction).
        well, here's the last few lines of what I get:

  GStC-WARNING **: gstc_parent_add_child(): can't add known window
20973768

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from `GnomeIconEntry' to `GtkEditable'

GnomeUI-CRITICAL **: file gnome-dialog.c: line 958
(gnome_dialog_editable_enters): assertion `GTK_IS_EDITABLE(editable)'
failed.

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages

xinit:  connection to X server lost.

        how can I find the whole error messages? are they logged somewhere?
        I suppose I could try 'startx 2>/tmp/xerror.log' and wait for X to die.

>That's
>why I asked you what kind of stability you get if you run twm(1).
        I'd honestly much rather run FVWM2 than GNOME (maybe I'll try
Blackbox one of these days; and I like AfterStep, but I feel like playing
with FVWM2/FVWM first); but I'm still looking for a good ICQ workalike that
doesn't require GNOME or KDE/Qt.
        zICQ looks interesting; but the functionality is a bit limited. what
I might do (If I ever get around to building the parts) is run that
constantly on an OpenBSD gateway/masq/firewall, which sits right next to my
main computer. just have it run on the console, where it looks pretty cool. :)

>Yeah, same as me; you should be using the standard SVGA server which is
>the one that supports the MGA-based cards. Again, I've had wonderful
>stability; it's a bummer that you're having trouble. I'm still inclined to
>blame it on an X client rather than X itself.
        well, I posted the error message above; maybe it makes some sense to
someone who's worked with GNOME/Gtk.

>[MUA]
>
>> I've used Pine once or twice; and must say that I despise it.
>
>Blasphemer! ;) Personally I think it's just about perfect.
        the interface seems a bit klunky and obtuse, to me (I know a lot of
that can be configured away, tho). then again, I'm biased b/c my original
experiences with it were on a heavily loaded VMS minicomputer (VAX 4000 w/
~100 users); and I was quite comfortable with PMDF/EDT.
        that said, I did use it for some heavy mailing needs; like putting
out the gamers' club newsletter.

>Another good, if baroque, MUA is exmh. It's Tcl/Tk-based for blazing speed
>:P but is very, very configurable. Dig around for other options on
>Freshmeat.net, there are many.
        will try that out. thanks. :)

>> Mutt looks interesting; I'm looking into it.
>Frankly, if Pine doesn't appeal to you, Mutt probably won't either -- not
>that you shouldn't try it out. It's quite good.
        from what little I've seen, it's much less menu-driven than PINE;
and more configurable. I could be biased in my experiences, tho.

>> I've heard of Fetchmail; never learned exactly what it *does* tho.
>It does the POP part of what you describe above. You need it, an MUA and
>an MTA to have a complete package.
        oh... so you need Fetchmail, Sendmail, and Procmail all to do the
POP3 thing?

>The big difference is that Sendmail will whine if it wants to clear the
>queue and can't because you aren't connected. Other than that, no big
>deal.
        so Fetchmail handles the POP3 needs for Sendmail?

thanks!
Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN